Two things to keep in mind:
1. Online job search cannot be your entire job search strategy. Some degree of "Tech and Touch" is necessary. In other words, get up from behind the computer sometime. Read - Your Online Past Could Kill Your Job Search
2. If searching online, please keep in mind that a negative online persona can impact your job search. As you go online so does the recruiter. Read - Job Hunting? Dust off Your Online Persona
Here is an excerpt of an article from Information Week:
A report from ComScore showed the job search category was the fastest-growing content site category in 2008, with 51% growth. Nearly 19 million people visited job search sites last year, and ComScore spotted an atypical trend: Job search activity increased over the holidays.The biggest increases came from the following job boards:
1. CareerBuilder.com's with 9.1 million visitors - 78% increase over 2007.
2. Yahoo HotJobs drew 5.6 million visitors - 2.5 times the traffic in 2007.
3. Indeed.com drew 5.1 million visitors - reflecting an 88% increase
4. Simply Hired drew 3.1 million visitors - more than 2.5 times the 2007 traffic.