Friday, May 30, 2008
America's Coolest Internships
Scottrade was mentioned in the February, 2008, Inc. Magazine's list of America's Coolest Internship programs. Here are 7 tips from recruiter Amy Meister on the Scottrade website for college students who want to get into good internship programs:
- Use all of your available resources to find great internship programs.
- Take advantage of the career counselors and advisors and upperclassmen at your college or university.
- Practice professional job seeking skills to get into internship programs.
- Take your search for internship programs seriously as if you were looking for a full-time job.
- Show an interest in the company.
- Personalize your cover letter, do some research about the company and point out any prior experiences that would make you an asset for internship programs in a a particular company.
- First impressions are important.
- The interview is your place to shine. Project a professional image with your clothing, manners and enthusiasm.
- Make your experience relate.
- In your resume, include part-time jobs, volunteer work, fundraising and charitable activities, athletics and even school-related projects that may align with the internship you are seeking.
- Think outside the semester.
- Let the internship recruiter know that your goal is to work with that company beyond the internship program.
- Follow-up after the interview.
- Send a thank-you letter by mail or e-mail.