Sunday, August 3, 2008

10 Misconceptions about the Myers Briggs

Many college career centers use the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator to help college students as they make the decisions about careers and majors.

Breanne Potter does a great job covering many of the misconceptions about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Breanne consults with corporate and government organizations that use the MBTI to help employees improve productivity and enjoy greater job satisfaction.

Feel free to email Breanne any questions you have about the MBTI®, Strong Interest Inventory®, FIRO-B®, TKI and CPI™ or assessments she uses.

Synopsis of the top 10 misconceptions: (Breanne does a good job explaining why each of these are misconceptions and how to modify your thinking in the complete article).

1. The MBTI is a personality test
2. I can take the MBTI online for free
3. The MBTI says I am one type, but I feel I am another type
4. We can use this to select new employees
5. I am one of 16 types, but I feel I am more unique than that
6. I should change careers based on the result
7. If I had a high score in one area it must mean I am really good at that
8. I have changed my type several times
9. I can guess what someone's type is going to be
10. If my team members all have the same MBTI type, we will be the best team ever

As with any career assessment tool, honest self evaluation is really the key to change.

No comments:

The HBCU Career Center celebrates 15 years!

Checking in for 2022! So much has happened as we have continued to grow  The HBCU Career Center.  Hard to believe we just celebrated 15 yea...