Keeping up with what is current is really important. This list of the best jobs for college graduates from Forbes Magazine in 2006 shows how the times have changed.
Look how many of these jobs were in the, now ailing, financial sector:
None of this means that careers in the financial sector are not available, it means you will have to look closely at offers and evaluate what skills you will develop that will prepare you for your next opportunities.
1. Hedge Fund Analyst - Entry level professionals hired to analyze market conditions and build economic models. $65,000
2. Corporate Finance, Investment Banking Analyst - Being hired by Lehman, Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch and JP Morgan Chase. How many of these companies have had layoffs recently? $60,000 with $10K bonus
3. Banking, Sales & Trading Analyst - Provide spreadsheet support for the bond salesmen helps them with their pitches to institutional clients. What's happened in banking recently? $45,000 to $55,000 with up to $30K sign on bonuses.
4. Junior Consultant/Consulting Analyst - The junior number cruncher on a consulting team at companies like Booz Allen Hamilton. $55,000
5. Software Engineer/Software Developer - Design software for operating systems ranging from Windows to Linux. $45000 to $80000 and up to $10K bonuses.
6. Resaarch Associate Biotech/Pharma - Conduct experiments and analyze data under the close supervision of more senior scientists. Offers - $52,000 to $58,000; bonus from $1,000 to $3,000
7. Accountant - Hired by the Big 4 accounting firms (Deloitte, Ernst and Young, Price WaterhouseCoopers, KPMG). Tax preparers and auditors who spend a lot of time at clients' sites. $45,000 to $50,000 with bonuses from $1K to $3K
8. Government Analysts - Technically savvy grads who analyze the weapons capabilities of foreign nations. $40,000 to $50,000 salaries.
9. Assistant Account Executive, Advertising & Public Relations - $32,000 to $50,000. This job will include competitive analysis and assisting and supporting client meetings and video shoots.
10. Researcher, World Bank - Lots of grunt work that will include research of economic trends and forecasts globally. $38,950 starting salaries.