Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lawyers Search for Alternative Careers


Yesterday I wrote about seeing the possible upside of being laid off.

Dee, an attorney, stopped by and shared her comments. I followed Dee's comments to her blog - Power Of Attorney: Not Happy Hour At The Bar where she shared some insight for lawyers looking for a career makeover and searching for alternative careers.

Her piece made me think about all the professionals who think the grass is always greener on the other side; who think that happiness is just a higher paying career away.

If I had a dime for every time I have heard a disheartened professional say that if they just had a better paying career, they would love it more - I would be rich. Turns out that lawyers, a career with significant compensation, can struggle with career choices too.

I really appreciate Dee making it clear that changing careers is not only about following dreams and passions. One real dilemma Dee highlights is the need to balance following one's dream, as hefty student loans hover over every career decision. I agree with Dee that there is too much banter sometimes from career coaches who dangle the carrot of the perfect career, if you just dream hard enough. We all know it takes more than "wishin and hopin" and I think Dee captures that well.

Read Dee's complete post here - Lawyers Search for Alternative Careers.

1 comment:

Dee said...

Thanks for this reference Marcia.

The HBCU Career Center celebrates 15 years!

Checking in for 2022! So much has happened as we have continued to grow  The HBCU Career Center.  Hard to believe we just celebrated 15 yea...