Monday, January 31, 2011

My old boss keeps calling me..

The JobDoc at Boston.com answers questions from readers about the world of work. 

I wanted to share one of the questions I read recently.  A former employee asked, "How long do I help my former boss?"  I thought I would share the response because it is actually a question I am hearing more and more from dislocated workers. 

It turns out that four months after leaving a job, this former employee was still being contacted by her old boss or his secretary with questions about day to day operations.  Not only was the former employee a little upset that she was still being called months after leaving, she was feeling a little bit harassed when her former boss called her on a Saturday evening asking for a report.   The bottom line question - How long should I wait before I can tell my former boss not to call me anymore?

The abbreviated version of the JobDoc's answer was that a former manager should no longer have expectations that former employees need to help them find things, or support their efforts. However, a former employee may find that being supportive of the company's efforts could earn them long term rewards, such as a professional reference or a potential re-hire opportunity later. 

JobDoc also gave advice on how to transition from a company so that there is no reason for these kinds of follow up calls.

Of course we don't want to burn our bridges, but former bosses need to be mindful as well when employees have moved on.

You can read the full response here.

4 comments:

Raj said...

t is a winner's world. In every walk of life – career, examination, games, election, etc. – it is important to get success. Only the achiever gets attention, appreciation and applause. The failures become part of a crowed. To get success, it is important to have a clear vision of your career goals.
www.mycap.in

smplcv said...

Does your old boss pay you? if so you can help him...@bose


Sample Cvs

umair said...

nice article i like it very much i also have similar blog tat,s why i think this one greatest blog in that topics...

Anonymous said...

Ive got to share it with the world!
Official Invitation Letter

The HBCU Career Center celebrates 15 years!

Checking in for 2022! So much has happened as we have continued to grow  The HBCU Career Center.  Hard to believe we just celebrated 15 yea...