Wednesday, January 25, 2012
12 Things Skilled Hourly Jobseekers Need to Know about a Company
In conversation with this skilled hourly jobseeker, I asked what he knew about the new chain that was coming to town. He knew their name and where two other locations had opened up. That was about it.
Here are a few of the things we discussed that skilled hourly jobseekers really need to research about the company in preparation for a job interview. He seemed surprised at first, but understood how this information could help him in a job interview. Lack of company research is a challenge for skilled hourly jobseekers. Many times they don't know the research is important or how to do it. The company website is a place to start.
1. How big or small is the company?
2. Are there unions in place at the company and how will that affect your employment?
3. How might employees get promoted?
4. Will you get the opportunity to gain new skills?
5. Are there other locations?
6. Try to get a sense of why the company successful?
7. What kind of reputation does the company have in the industry?
8. Are there seasonal influences on the job?
9. What are the career growth paths within the company?
10. Are uniforms required and will they be provided?
11. What kind of safety record does the company have?
12. Any complaints out there on the internet about the company.